Homeschooling in Australia

Homeschooling or Home Education, is legal in all six states and two territories in Australia. Each state and territory has its own education department overseeing their requirements and each state has slightly different rules and regulations. It will be necessary for you to contact the department of the state or territory you are residing in. These contacts have been listed below for your convenience.

There are common themes running across all the Homeschooling registrations requiring you to prove that you will provide an education to your child that is equal to or better than what they would receive if attending a school.

As your child's educator, you will be required to:

  • plan and implement your child's educational program
  • provide a suitable learning environment
  • provide the necessary resources to support their learning
  • monitor and assess your child's educational progress
  • continue to meet the standard conditions of registration, which includes the submission of an annual report demonstrating the educational progress of your child.

At Functional Education, our program aligns closely with the Australian curriculum and we provide lessons that align with the Key learning areas required by the Government.

The Key Learning areas required by the Australian Government are:

  1. English
  2. Mathematics
  3. Science and Technology
  4. Humanities and Social Science (Includes: history, geography, civics and politics)
  5. Arts (Includes: visual arts, dancing and music)
  6. Health and Physical Education
  7. Languages

We are happy to provide detailed course content documents to accompany your application once you are enrolled with our organisation.

Homeschooling in NSW

At the official NESA (Education Standards Authority) link below it has all the application forms and guides for you to apply for your exemption:

Homeschooling in Queensland

Below is the link to the Queensland Department of Education (HEU) Home Education Unit. It is advised that you contact the Department via a letter to request provisional registration or to apply for registration via their online application forms. See their site for more information:

Homeschooling in Western Australia

You will be required to contact your Regional Education Office at: and ask to speak with a Home Education Moderator who will assist you in the process of applying for registration.

Homeschooling in Victoria

The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) is the controlling body for Victoria. You can download your application and fill in the required registration form here:

Homeschooling in Canberra (ACT)

An application needs to be made to the Education Directorate for permission to Homeschool in Canberra (ACT). The following link will provide you with online access to the application forms required.

Homeschooling in Northern Territory

The Northern Territory Board of Education is the ruling authority you will be required to register with for this region. You can download your registration form here and begin the process:

Homeschooling in South Australia

The Department of Education and Child Development (DECD) is the ruling authority you will be applying for registration with. You will be required to email them at: and request that they send you out an application pack before you are able to proceed further.

Homeschooling in Tasmania

The Office of Education Registrar (OER) is the ruling education authority in Tasmania. You can download and fill in your registration form here to begin the process:

Homeschool the easy way - with Functional Education!

Up to 2 hours of lessons a day, plus hands on activities means you can easily give your child a quality education at home.

View Course Overview

Free Trial

Try 7 days of homeschooling with
functional education, for free!

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Related Articles